Tuesday 10 May 2011

Day 1

Today was my first day at NCSS for field placement, and being an indirect practice "agency" I was not sure what to expect. For my previous placements it was simple enough to know what to expect - sitting in with my supervisor for case sessions and programmes were likely activities. Not completely understanding the scope of my placement or the department I would be in for NCSS meant I felt I was "going in blind" for this placement.

It turned out to be a fruitful day thankfully. Not fully understanding the scope of work NCSS covered despite my 4 years studying social work in NUS, being able to finally experience the work first hand will be a good learning experience I feel. It was enlightening to find out that NCSS essentially handles the fund allocation for the various programmes, while conducting programme reviews and service gaps / needs assessments.

Reading up on the various programmes under the elder service development department, I began to realise that the main aim of several programmes (aside from active ageing) was to help the elderly age-in-place, to give them a sense of independence and dignity, allowing them to remain mobile and to continue living in a comfortable and familiar community setting, while giving them as much support needed to do so.

This helped me to better understand the belief system informing policy development in regards to the elderly, which will help me to orient my point of view in working here at NCSS (so that my perspective can be better aligned and more in tune with the agency's). This is important, as knowing the agency's angle will help me to understand how to help review the counselling programme in relation to this belief about ageing in place. It will help give me a direction and focus as I do the literature review in the coming weeks here.

I do however have questions relating to the funds budgeted for each FY and the funds finally allocated to the various VWOs, as there seems to be an annual surplus, and the annual reports do not cover where the surplus goes. I would like to find out what happens to the surplus..

Hoping to start reading up for the literature review tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Hi I am considering to major in sw in NUS. I would like to find out more about the field placements during the undergraduate years. So we get to choose which organisation to go to? What is the working hour like? Is there any remuneration? Thanks alot for your help~! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, not sure how you're going to get this because you didn't leave an email address, but here's osme basic information.

    To major in social work, you are required to do 2 field placements, each 10 weeks long, during your summer breaks during your undergrad. An extensive list of organisations and service providers (both in direct practice and indirect practice) are given as options, and you ballot for places based on the list given. However, certain agencies (like the ministry, NCSS, hospitals, and possibly prisons) only take in students doing their second placement.

    The working hours differ from organisation to organisation, and within organisations it can differ based on departments as well. Typical working hours are 830-6 or 9-6, but some organisations require you to work on some weekends, and weeknights as well (due to running programmes). They might let you take a half day off in-lieu of the hours you work outside of office hours.

    There is standard remuneration across the board, which I will not disclose here because I don't think it's appropriate to do so. However please do not expect a huge amount because it is afterall just field placement.

    Do note that these field placements are graded, and count as 2 modules per field placement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks alot for your prompt reply!! Really appreciate that! :D

    Btw, my email address is stlltoh@yahoo.com.sg..

    OH! Since the field placements are considered as 2 mods each, does that mean that we can take 4 lesser mods across the sems? Is it hard to score good grades for the field placements? What is the grading criteria like?

    Once again I would like to thank you for your help!! :D

    Cheers,
    Stella

    ReplyDelete